There is no special rule as to which vegetables to use when roasting. I have chosen the ones listed here simply because I like them. Be creative and try other vegetables as well! Roasting is my favorite cooking method when preparing vegetables.
- 1 lb thin carrots, peeled -
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and sliced -
- 1 large bulb fennel -
- ½ lb shallots -
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- Sea salt or kosher salt -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup -
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut all vegetables into similar-sized pieces. Lay flat on a cookie sheet or roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix to coat all the vegetables evenly and spread them in a single layer.
3. Roast uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add maple syrup and mix once again to coat evenly. Return to oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NOTE: For maximum flavor, buy carrots with the green still attached. Cut off greens as close to the base as possible.