- 2 cups cooked quinoa -
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided -
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped -
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar -
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted -
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries -
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper -
1. Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
2. Heat a saucepan with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the brown sugar to the pan and stir until it’s dissolved. Cook over low heat for about 5 more minutes, until the onion is soft and light brown in color.
3. Place the quinoa in a mixing bowl and add the caramelized onions, sunflower seeds and cranberries.
4. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and toss it again with the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Kitchen Tip: Quinoa can be interchanged with whole-wheat couscous. Prepare the couscous according to the package directions and then follow the rest of this recipe.
This recipe was featured in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Febuary 2011. Kosher Inspired is brought to you by Mishpacha Magazine.