This is an elegant twist on traditional poached pears
- 6 Bosc pears, peeled -
- 2⁄3 cup sugar -
- 2 cups hot water -
- 1½ cups red wine -
- 2 cinnamon sticks -
- 2 whole cloves -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut each pear vertically on either side of the core; discard core. You will have 12 pear halves. Place flat-side down on a cutting board and slice through each pear from the bottom every ¼ inch until about ¾ of the way up. (See photo.)
3. Combine sugar and hot water in a 9 x 13-inch Pyrex baking dish and stir until dissolved. Add red wine, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Liquid should not come higher than 1 inch below the rim of the dish. (If dish is too full, transfer to a slightly larger one.)
4. Place scored pears into liquid, rounded side down. Cover well with foil and bake for ½ hour.
5. Remove from oven, keep covered and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days before serving.
6. When ready to serve, spread out pieces of pear into a fan shape on the serving plate. Serve with Amaretto Ice Cream or store-bought vanilla ice cream sprinkled with a touch of cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa.