This sauce works very nicely with any pickled meat. For this recipe, I used pickled tongue because it is extremely soft and very popular with my family.
- 1 pickled tongue (about 4 lbs) -
- 2 Tbsp flour -
- 2 Tbsp oil -
- 2 14-oz cans tomato sauce -
- 2½ Tbsp brown sugar -
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice -
- Wedge of lemon peel -
- 1 14-oz can pineapple chunks, drained -
1. Cook tongue in a large pot full of water for about 2½ to 3 hours. Discard water and peel outer skin of tongue while still quite hot. Let cool completely, and then slice.
2. Mix flour and oil together in a saucepan. Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Cook over gentle heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pineapple and cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sliced tongue into a serving dish and pour the sauce over the meat. Warm up together for about 20 to 30 minutes.