This is my mother-in-law
- Pickled kolachel, brisket or other boneless roast (about 4 lbs) -
- 2 Tbsp oil -
- 2 Tbsp flour -
- 3 cups mango juice (I like the Ceres brand) -
- 1 can apricot halves, drained (15.25 oz) -
- ¼ cup sugar -
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice -
- Peel of lemon wedge -
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. Gently rinse the pickled kolachel roast under running water and place into the boiling water. Let cook about 2 hours or until the meat is tender and cooked through. Remove from the pot and cool. Slice thinly with a sharp knife.
3. In a saucepan, mix the oil and flour until combined. Add the remaining ingredients except meat and cook on very low heat until the sauce is the consistency of a thicker syrup. Cool sauce and remove lemon peel. Add the meat to the pot and warm gently, stirring occasionally.
4. If making in advance, store the meat and sauce separately. When ready to serve, pour the mango sauce into a saucepan and gently heat. Place the meat in the saucepan and cook together until ready to serve.
NOTE: If you can't find mango juice, orange-mango juice can be substituted.