This unusually flavored ice cream has a smooth, creamy texture. Below, I recommend serving it with roasted pineapple, but it
- 1 pkg instant vanilla pudding (approximately 3.2 oz) -
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice -
- 1 cup coconut milk -
- 3 egg whites -
- ¼ cup sugar -
- Roasted Pineapple
- Pineapple chunks from approximately ½ pineapple -
- ¼ cup coconut milk -
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling -
1. Combine instant vanilla pudding, crushed pineapple and its juice, and coconut milk in a bowl. For a smoother ice cream with no pieces, blend with an immersion blender until smooth; otherwise beat vigorously with whisk for approximately 1 minute.
2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the beater attachment, beat egg whites at high speed, adding sugar gradually. Beat until shiny and stiff. Gently fold pudding mixture together with egg white mixture. Transfer to container and freeze until solid.
3. Defrost ice cream 5 minutes before serving. Serve over warm, roasted pineapple. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. For the roasted pinapple, preheat oven to 450°F.
5. Mix pineapple chunks with coconut milk and roast uncovered in a disposable foil pan for approximately 10 minutes, or until pineapple chunks begin to brown at edges. Serve warm.
NOTE: Do not serve recipes with raw eggs to women who are pregnant, people with a compromised immune system, very young children or the elderly. Instead, substitute 1 cup sweetened whipped cream (dairy or non-dairy) for the egg whites and sugar.