This wonderful combination of vegetables and meat creates a dish with terrific presentation and taste. The bok choy adds both flavor and color. I like to serve this over a bed of rice for a main dish, or with a scoop of rice for an appetizer.
- 1 lb pepper steak, cut in strips -
- Extra-virgin olive oil for sauteing -
- 1 large onion, diced -
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced -
- 3 portabella mushrooms, sliced -
- 6 to 7 shiitake mushrooms, sliced -
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced -
- 1 head baby bok choy,leaves shredded -
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce -
- 2½ tsp brown sugar -
- 2 cloves garlic, minced -
1. Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Add pepper steak and mix thoroughly. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Heat a wok and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté onions on medium heat until transparent; then add peppers and saute over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour onions and peppers into a large bowl.
3. Stir-fry all the mushrooms for approximately 3 minutes, until soft and fragrant. (Add more oil as needed.) Add shredded bok choy, and cook 30 seconds longer. Pour mushrooms and bok choy into the bowl with the sauteéd peppers.
4. Place meat and marinade in the wok and stir-fry meat until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add cooked vegetables back into wok and toss thoroughly. Serve warm on a bed of rice, sprinkled with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.