This combination may seem a bit unusual, but somehow, the flavors blend together and it works beautifully! This side dish is a great accompaniment for poultry and fish alike.
- 1½ cups fresh shelled peas (use frozen peas if fresh peas are unavailable) -
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil -
- 1 cup panko crumbs -
- ½ tsp kosher salt -
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- 1 tsp dried basil -
- 1 tsp dried thyme -
- ½ tsp garlic powder -
- ½ tsp onion powder -
- 1½ tsp fresh lemon zest -
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add peas, cover and cook about 3 to 5 minutes. The color of the peas will turn an even brighter green.
2. Transfer to a strainer and drain well, then rinse immediately with cold water to stop the cooking.
3. Preheat a thick saucepan or skillet on medium-high heat; add olive oil and heat slightly. Add crumbs along with all remaining ingredients except lemon zest. Cook crumb mixture in oil until light brown and toasted, about 5 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
4. Add peas, toss to coat and remove from heat to prevent overcooking.
5. Stir in lemon zest and serve immediately.
NOTE: Panko bread crumbs are often used in Japanese cooking. They are coarser than regular bread crumbs and have a delicious, crunchy taste.