This soup works best as a starter
- 1 cup | 250 mL balsamic vinegar -
- 5–6 medium Bosc pears (2 lb | 1 kg), peeled, cored and cubed -
- 2 cups | 500 mL stock -
- ½ tsp | 2 mL salt -
- ? tsp | 0.5 mL black pepper -
- ? cup | 75 mL feta cheese, crumbled -
- ½ cup | 125 mL toasted pecans, chopped -
1. For the balsamic reduction, bring the vinegar to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low and simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes. The vinegar should reduce to ? cup (75 mL) and will thicken and become syrupy. Set the reduction aside.
2. Place the pears, stock, salt and pepper in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until the pears are fork-tender.
3. Purée the soup. See Puréeing Soups on page x in the Techniques section.
4. Garnish with the balsamic reduction, crumbled feta and chopped, toasted pecans.