If you have a lot of ripe tomatoes that are waiting to be used, roast them! They
- 3 lb (about 12) ripe Roma (Italian) tomatoes -
- 2 medium onions -
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded -
- 6-8 cloves garlic (2 Tbsp minced) -
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil -
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice or balsamic vinegar -
- 1 Tbsp honey -
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste) -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- 1 tsp dried basil -
- 1 tsp dried oregano -
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cut the tomatoes into quarters or wedges and spread them out in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Slice the onions and peppers and spread them over the tomatoes. Add garlic, olive oil, lemon juice (or vinegar) and honey. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and herbs. Mix well.
3. Bake uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender. Serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Feb 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.