The eye-catching colors and excellent combination of flavors make this salad a real treat. I got the idea for this salad from Jacob's Catering in Toronto.
- 1 cup edamame (soybeans) -
- 2 mangoes -
- 3 large carrots -
- 3 scallions -
- 3 cups shredded white cabbage (you can use Bodek) -
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce -
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground ginger -
- 6 Tbsp rice vinegar -
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar -
- 1 tsp salt -
- ½ tsp garlic powder -
1. Blanch edamame beans according to package instructions. Place immediately into cold water to stop the cooking after about 4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, peel and cut mangoes and carrots into julienne shape.
3. Cut the scallions into 2-inch pieces and then cut those pieces into very thin strips. Shred cabbage.
4. Mix together ingredienrs for dressing in a small bowl (you can do this ahead of time.)
5. Combine all salad ingredients just before serving. Toss with dressing.
NOTE: If setting out as appetizer, you can mix the salad with just a few teaspoons of the dressing, and then pour the dressing right before your meal begins.
Garnish with pickled ginger if desired.