Be careful not to overcook the okra, as it is best served while vibrant green and slightly crunchy. Serve this dish warm as a side, or at room temperature as a salad.
- 1 lb fresh okra, washed and trimmed -
- Olive oil for sautéing -
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced -
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes -
- 1 Tbsp sugar -
- 1 Tbsp dried basil -
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground -
1. In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp of oil and toss in the okra for about 2–3 minutes, until the green color brightens. Set the okra aside.
2. In another pan, sauté the onion until soft. Add the tomatoes, sugar, basil and pepper. Cook over medium–low heat and let most of the juice evaporate, 10–15 minutes. You will have a chunky tomato sauce. Add the okra and toss gently.
This Recipe was featured in Kosher Inspired, Issue 4, April 2011. Kosher Inspired is brought to you by Mishpacha Magazine.