This tasty, cholesterol-free spread is wonderful on matzoh as a substitute for peanut butter, which is kitniyos. But it
- 2 cups unsalted almonds or cashews (or a combination of both) -
- 1–2 T bsp vegetable oil (as needed) -
- Pinch of salt -
1. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process the nuts for 30 seconds or until coarsely ground.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of oil and the salt and process for 2 minutes longer or until smooth and creamy, stopping the motor several times during processing to scrape down the sides of the bowl. If the mixture seems dry, add additional oil and process until smooth.
3. Transfer to an airtight container, cover and refrigerate.
Variation: Chocolate Nut Butter Use 1 1/2 cups of nuts and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Omit the oil. Process for 2–3 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
This recipe appeard in Kosher Inspired Issue 4, April 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.