The dish that takes center stage at Mimouna is the moufletta,a delicious, thin, cr
- 2 1/2 lb flour -
- Pinch of salt -
- Pinch of sugar -
- 1 1/2 cup warm water -
- Vegetable oil, as needed -
1. Combine the flour, salt and sugar in bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the water.
2. Use your fingers to mix together the ingredients. Knead the dough until a light, elastic texture is achieved, adding additional water if necessary.
3. Divide the dough into 15–20 small balls (golfball size). Place the balls into a large bowl and pour enough oil over them to cover completely. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
4. Oil your hands and, on a clean, oiled surface, roll out the dough using your fingers to stretch each ball into a thin circle.
5. Spread a small amount of oil in a frying pan and cook each moufletta over medium heat. When the bottom starts to brown, flip it over to cook the other side. When repeating with the remaining dough, it is not necessary to re-grease the pan.
6. Transfer each cooked moufletta to a plate and cover with a dish towel to keep warm. Serve with butter and honey. Note: Do not use olive oil in this recipe.
This Recipe was featured in Kosher Inspired, Issue 4, April 2011. Kosher Inspired is brought to you by Mishpacha Magazine.