In my upcoming book I devoted a whole chapter to miso soup and its many variations. Miso soup is a marvel
- 2 quarts (8 cups) water -
- 6 chicken cutlets, cut into thin strips -
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms, caps only, sliced thin -
- 4 ribs celery, peeled and sliced thin -
- 4 thin carrots, sliced very thin -
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated -
- 1 cup miso paste, dark for a stronger taste, white for a milder taste -
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil -
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, or more to taste -
- 8 oz rice noodles, broken up into small pieces. -
- 4 scallions, sliced very thin -
1. Bring all of the ingredients, except for the rice noodles and scallions, to a boil.
2. As soon as the water boils, stir in the noodles and cook for just one more minute.
3. Turn off the flame and stir in the scallions.
This recipe was featured in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Febuary 2011. Kosher Inspired is brought to you by Mishpacha Magazine.