This popular pasta dish is everybody
- 1 pkg (16 oz) penne -
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- 2 Tbsp butter -
- 1 small onion, finely chopped -
- 1 clove crushed garlic -
- 1 tsp dried basil -
- ½ tsp dried oregano -
- 1 cup pizza sauce -
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or less) -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- 3 cups low-fat milk (1% or 2%) -
- 2⁄3 cup flour -
- 2 bay leaves -
- 1 Tbsp vodka -
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
2. In a pan, combine olive oil and butter and melt over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté slowly. After about 5 minutes, add basil and oregano along with pizza sauce, salt, and pepper. Let simmer on low heat until onions are soft — about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in another pan or pot, combine milk and flour and whisk until smooth. Add bay leaves and simmer on very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves.
4. Mix the two sauces together until well combined. Stir in vodka, and toss with hot pasta. Serve immediately.
NOTE: If your sauce is lumpy, you can use an immersion blender to smooth it out.To reheat the noodles, place in pot and add 1⁄3 cup milk, stir until all is combined, and warm again.