The tartness of the lemon and the rhubarb, combined with the sweetness of the strawberries and cream, creates a dessert that is spectacular. A small tip: this cake is fantastic on its own, too.
- 1 cup (½ lb) unsalted butter, at -
- room temperature -
- 1½ cups sugar -
- 3 eggs -
- 2 tsp baking powder -
- 2 cups flour -
- ½ cup milk -
- 2 tsp lemon extract -
- Zest of 1 lemon -
- 1 pint strawberries -
- (or 1 lb frozen strawberries) -
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb -
- (or 1 lb frozen rhubarb) -
- ¼ cup water -
- ½ cup sugar (or more if desired) -
- 2 cups whipped cream for serving -
1. To make cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Cream together butter and sugar in an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition.
2. Mix baking powder with 2 cups flour. Turn mixer down to low speed and add flour mixture alternating with milk, lemon extract, and zest. Mix just until combined.
3. Pour into buttered and floured 9-inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing.
4. Meanwhile, place hulled strawberries and rhubarb in a medium saucepan with sugar and water and let cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool and refrigerate.
5. To serve: Slice the cake into 1-inch slices and cut each slice vertically down the center into 2 strips. Place 2 cake strips on each plate and top with whipped cream and fruit.
NOTE: This cake doubles well. Just bake it in a large greased Bundt or tube pan for 1 hour and 10 minutes.