This is a great idea. It has a stunning and impressive presentation, and fulfills my criteria for a dessert perfectly: it
- Approximately 14 cinnamon graham crackers (9.5 oz) -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract -
- ¼ tsp salt -
- ¾ cup melted margarine (1½ sticks) -
- ½ gallon pareve vanilla ice cream -
- 1 pint sorbet of your choice -
- 3 (1-pint) containers (different colors) sorbet (enough for 8 medium-size scoops from each container) -
- 1 cup frozen blueberries -
1. Lightly grease or spray a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
2. Place the graham crackers in a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment and process until very fine. Pour into a large bowl and add vanilla and salt. Melt margarine in a microwave and pour over crumbs. Mix with a spoon until completely absorbed. Press crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan, pressing firmly until the pan is evenly coated with the crumbs. The crumbs should come all the way up the sides of the pan as well. Freeze for half an hour.
3. Take vanilla ice cream for filling out of the freezer and let soften for half an hour. Spoon ice cream into the frozen shell until it is approximately ¾ full. Spread evenly. Freeze again for 1 to 2 hours.
4. Let sorbet for filling defrost for half at room temperature an hour before using. Fill the rest of the pan with the sorbet, and smooth with a spoon to create an even, smooth top. Freeze again. After one hour, cover with foil and keep the pan in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
5. Before serving, scoop three different colors of sorbet into even-sized scoops. (See Note.) Pile them randomly onto top of cake, covering the whole surface. Top with frozen blueberries. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Make the scoops of sorbet for the topping about 2 hours before the meal, placing them on a lined cookie sheet and popping them back into the freezer until just before you are ready to use them. It saves time, and the scoops don’t melt as quickly.
Cinnamon graham crackers often come in a 14.4 oz. box with 3 inner packages. For a 9-inch springform pan, use 2 of the inner packages.