I love making these on Sunday morning so the kids can enjoy them fresh and steaming from the oven. Because quinoa is a protein, I
- 1 cup raw quinoa, rinsed well -
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats -
- 2¼ cup water -
- ¼ cup milk or soymilk -
- ¾ cup hot (not boiling) water -
- 2½ tsp yeast -
- 2 T bsp sugar -
- 1/3 cup honey -
- 1/3 cup oil -
- 3 cups bread flour -
- 1 cup whole wheat flour -
- 2¼ tsp salt -
- 1 egg yolk, beaten -
- A dditional quinoa or sesame seeds, for sprinkling on loaf -
1. Combine the quinoa, oats, 2 1/4 cups water and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Allow to cool.
2. Place the 3/4 cup hot water in a large bowl or the bowl of a mixer. Sprinkle the yeast and the sugar over the water and allow to stand for 5 minutes, making sure the yeast foams.
3. Stir the honey and oil into the yeast mixture, then add 1 cup of bread flour, salt and the cooked quinoa mixture. Mix by hand or with the mixer on low speed.
4. Add the remaining flours, kneading for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough should feel slightly sticky, but if it is too wet, add 1/4-1/2 cup flour as necessary.
5. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside. Spray the surface of the dough and cover it loosely with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled, about 2 hours.
6. Punch down the dough. Divide it into 18-20 small, equal pieces, shape into balls and place in rows on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Alternatively, you can place the balls in sprayed muffin tins. Brush the tops with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with raw
quinoa or sesame seeds. Allow the rolls to rise again until almost doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
7. Bake the rolls in the center of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and let cool slightly.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Feb 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.