Grilled tomatoes are especially tasty with grilled chicken quarters or chicken breasts. These tomatoes can be prepared two or three hours in advance, but pour dressing on right before serving.
- 4 large “beefsteak” tomatoes, sliced -
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- Kosher salt or sea salt -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- ½ cup of fresh basil leaves, finely chopped -
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil -
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar -
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste -
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. Brush tomato slices with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly soft.
3. Mix ingredients for dressing in a small bowl.
4. Remove tomatoes from grill, place on a serving platter and pour dressing over. Can be served warm or chilled.
NOTE If you don’t have a grill, roast tomatoes uncovered at 400° F in the oven for about 6 to 8 minutes.
Beefsteak tomatoes are the largest variety of cultivated tomatoes and can weigh up to 1 lb each.