Toasted sesame oil takes everyday green beans up a level. It doesn
- 1 lb green beans -
- 1 lb wax or yellow beans -
- 1 Tbsp canola oil -
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil, divided use -
- Kosher or sea salt -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- 1½ tsp white sesame seeds -
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds -
1. Trim ends off beans and cut into bite-size pieces. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add beans and cook just until the color brightens and the beans are just softening slightly – about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain immediately and run beans under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat canola oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add half the toasted sesame oil as well as the beans, and stir-fry on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, constantly moving them as they cook. Add the rest of the sesame oil, salt, and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat beans, and add sesame seeds. Stir and serve warm or at room temperature.