This is my favorite recipe of all; it
- Turkey Meatballs
- 2 lb lean ground turkey -
- 2 eggs -
- 1 T bsp ketchup -
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (I prefer flavored) -
- 2 T bsp parsley, finely chopped -
- 1 small onion, grated -
- ½ tsp kosher salt (or more to taste) -
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- 3 cups chicken broth -
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks -
- 4 celery stalks, cut in chunks -
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered -
- ½ tsp kosher salt -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- 1 8-oz package of rice noodles -
1. Preheat oven to 400?F.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the turkey meatballs in a large bowl and mix well until combined. Form walnut-sized balls and place them on a lined cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Set aside for soup.
1. Fill your slow cooker half-way with water and add the chicken broth. Add the carrots, celery, onions and baked turkey balls. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook on medium heat for about 6 hours. (If your slow cooker does not have a medium setting, cook on high for 2-3 hours and then decrease it to low to cook for another 3-4 hours.)
3. About 10 minutes before serving, soak the rice noodles in a bowl of cold water for 2 minutes. Drain the water and add the noodles to the slow cooker. Serve in large bowls.
Variation: For extra flavor and color, add 1/2 cup frozen peas to the soup during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Note: Don’t use a slow cooker that is smaller than 3 quarts
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Feb 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.