These are super healthy, filled with fibre and all natural ingredients. These are my favourite muffins.Note: to keep these dairy free, substitute oil for butter and hot water instead of milk.
- 1 cup new whole wheat flour -
- ½ cup all purpose flour -
- 1 tsp baking soda -
- ½ tsp baking powder -
- ½ tsp salt -
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom -
- 4 tbsp butter -
- 10 oz. plump moist dates (Medjool) pitted and coarsely chopped -
- 1 cup hot water -
- ½ cup milk -
- ¾ cup light brown sugar -
- 1 large egg beaten -
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract -
- 1 cup chopped walnuts -
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees 2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cardamom in a bowl, set aside.
3. In a medium pot, melt butter over low heat. Add dates, hot water and milk and bring to a light simmer. Let cook only a few minutes until dates start falling apart. Remove from flame and cool for 5 minutes.
4. Add the egg, mixing vigorously. Add the prepared dry ingredients, the zest, extract and walnuts and mix batter. Spoon into cupcake tray filled with medium cupcake liners.
5. Fill ¾ of way up and bake for 20 minutes
NOTE: for a pareve version, use margarine instead of butter and substitute the 1 cup hot water and 1/2 cup milk with 3/4 cup hot water and 3/4 cup coconut milk.