This is a special dish for a special occasion. It makes a very elegant main dish, and the best thing about this recipe is that it freezes beautifully.
- 1 veal neck with pocket (5 to 6 lbs) -
- 1 lemon -
- Spice Rub
- 1 tsp black pepper -
- 1 tsp Kosher salt -
- ½ Tbsp oil -
- 1 clove garlic, minced -
- ½ tsp paprika -
- 1 medium onion, cut in chunks -
- 3 cloves garlic -
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley -
- 1 red bell pepper, divided in half -
- 1 lb ground chicken -
- ½ tsp salt -
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- ½ tsp sugar -
- 1 extra-large egg -
- 2⁄3 cup bread crumbs -
1. To prepare meat, rub it all over with the juice of the lemon. Rinse with water and pat dry with a paper towel, both inside and out.
2. For the spice rub, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. To make stuffing, place onion, garlic, parsley, and half a red pepper into a food processor and coarsely chop. Place in a large mixing bowl and add ground chicken, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix well. Add egg and breadcrumbs and mix again.
4. Place meat in a large roasting pan and rub with spice rub, covering all surfaces as evenly as possible.
5. Cut remaining half of bell pepper into long thin strips. Place stuffing into the cavity of the meat, placing a red pepper strip horizontally every few inches. Close ends of meat around stuffing. Cover pan well.
6. Bake at 400°F for the first 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F and bake for 2 hours. Remove and let cool to room temperature before slicing.