Grapefruits and oranges are incredibly sweet during the long winter months. This fruit salad blends flavors and colors to create a very tasty combination.
- 3 large pink grapefruits -
- 3 large oranges -
- ¼ cup sugar -
- ¼ cup boiling water -
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered -
- Rind of half a lime -
1. Remove the peel and the pith from the oranges and grapefruits with a sharp knife, including some of the outer skin. Cut between each segment on either side to remove the segments (also known as “supremes”) from the membranes. Once all the segments have been removed from the fruit, squeeze the remaining part of the fruit over a bowl, to extract any leftover juice that may remain.
2. Meanwhile, dissolve the sugar in boiling water. Cool to lukewarm. Place strawberries in a bowl with dissolved sugar and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Combine all ingredients and stir together. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Right before serving, grate some lime rind into the bowl to add flavor and color. Serve chilled.
NOTE: You may replace the sugar and strawberries with approximately 1½ cups of frozen strawberries in syrup.