Here is an example of a supper you can prepare in about 15 to 20 minutes (plus cooking time), using basic ingredients. I chop the vegetables into very fine pieces so the kids won
- 1 large onion -
- 3 carrots -
- 2 zucchini -
- ½ red bell pepper -
- 1 Tbsp oil -
- 2 lbs ground meat (extra lean) -
- 1 jar (3 cups) marinara sauce (I use the one with roasted garlic) -
- 1½ Tbsp sugar -
- 1½ tsp salt -
- Freshly ground black pepper -
- 2 bay leaves -
- 1 pkg (16 oz) spaghetti -
1. Cut the onion, carrots, zucchini and bell pepper into chunks. Place in the food processor fitted with the steel blade. (If your family will actually eat vegetables in larger pieces, consider just shredding them.)
2. In a very large saucepan or large shallow pot, heat oil. Pour in all vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes on medium heat,stirring constantly. Add meat (I am usually running late, so I brown the meat in another saucepan and then add it to the vegetables to speed up the cooking time). Sauté until meat is brown, then stir in marinara sauce and seasonings. Cover and simmer about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves from sauce and discard.
3. While meat sauce is cooking, boil water in a large pasta pot. Add salt to taste and cook spaghetti according to package directions (break in half if you have young customers). Drain well. Serve spaghetti and meat sauce together (wear bibs for this one!).