Hummus, a chickpea-based spread, has become increasingly popular in recent years. With so many variations of it, there
- 1 lb dry chick peas, soaked overnight and drained -
- 12 large cloves garlic -
- ½ cup tehina (sesame paste) -
- 1 large bunch cilantro, stems cut off -
- 1 large bunch flat parsley, leaves and stems -
- 6 ribs celery, peeled -
- Salt to taste -
- 2 tsp turmeric -
- 1 tsp ground coriander -
- 12 cups (3 quarts) water -
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice -
- Ground pepper to taste -
1. Bring all of the ingredients, except for the lemon juice and pepper, to a boil in a wide-bottom pot.
2. Reduce the flame to medium and cook, covered, for 2 hours.
3. Add the lemon juice and pepper.
4. Using an immersion blender, cream the soup until smooth. Adjust the texture and seasonings.
This recipe was featured in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Febuary 2011. Kosher Inspired is brought to you by Mishpacha Magazine.