I use fresh okra in this recipe, but if you can
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped -
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and finely chopped -
- 1 whole jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped -
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped -
- 2 cups | 500 mL okra, washed, trimmed and cut into 3–4 pieces -
- 1½ tsp | 7 mL salt -
- ¼ tsp | 1 mL black pepper -
- ¼ tsp | 1 mL chili powder -
- 1–2 cloves garlic (1 tsp | 5 mL), crushed -
- ¼ cup | 50 mL olive oil -
- ¼ cup | 50 mL all-purpose flour -
- 3 Tbsp | 45 mL tomato paste -
- 1 can (28 oz | 796 mL) diced tomatoes -
- 8 cups | 2 L stock -
- 1 cup | 250 mL rice -
- ½ lb | 250 g cooked chicken, cut into ½-inch | 1 cm cubes -
1. Over medium heat, sauté the onion, pepper, jalapeño, celery, okra, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic in olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes. The vegetables should wilt but not brown.
2. Add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and stock. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Add the rice and simmer for another 15 minutes.
5. Add the cooked chicken, and simmer until the chicken is heated through and the rice is tender.