- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil -
- 2 cups sugar -
- 1 cup parve unsweetened cocoa -
- 1/3 cup dry coconut flakes -
- 4 large eggs -
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract -
- 2 cups all-purpose flour -
- 2 teaspoons baking powder -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, for coating cookies -
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, cocoa and coconut. Add the eggs, one at a time, and whisk well after each addition. Add the vanilla and whisk again. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix well with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line three baking sheets with parchment, or bake in batches. Place the confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl. Use a tablespoon to scoop up the dough and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll the cookie balls in the confectioners’ sugar until they are heavily coated with sugar. Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
3. Bake the cookies for 12 to 16 minutes, depending on how chewy or crunchy you like your cookies. Slide the parchment onto cooling racks and let cool. Store covered with plastic or in an airtight container at room temperature for five days or freeze for up to three months.