A very refreshing and tasty treat for anytime, especially during the long, hot summer afternoons. The recipe itself makes enough for only a few portions, but you can double or triple as needed. Although this Hungarian delight is considered a soup, it also makes a delicious dessert.
- 1 can (15 oz) sour cherries, undrained -
- 1 peach, peeled, pitted and cubed -
- ½ apple, peeled, cored and cubed -
- 2 cups water -
- 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar -
- 1⁄3 cup sugar -
- 1 egg (see Note) -
1. Place all the ingredients except the egg into a saucepan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until fruit is soft but not falling apart. Cool until almost room temperature.
2. In a bowl, beat the egg. Add 1 cup of the soup liquid and mix well. Pour back into soup and stir gently until combined. Refrigerate immediately and serve cold.
NOTE: Do not serve recipes with raw eggs to women who are pregnant, people with a compromised immune system, very young children or the elderly. Instead, substitute 1⁄3 cup whipping or table cream, or non-dairy creamer.