I have yet to meet a person who doesn
- 24 spring roll wrappers -
- 24 individual string cheeses, unwrapped -
- Canola or peanut oil for deep-frying -
- Marinara Sauce
- 1 small onion, finely diced -
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced -
- 3 Tbsp olive oil -
- 1 can (28 oz) diced or whole tomatoes, undrained -
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste -
- 2 Tbsp sugar -
- ½ tsp salt -
- 1 bay leaf -
1. Place a spring roll wrapper on the work surface with a corner pointed towards you. Place string cheese toward the bottom. Fold bottom corner over cheese, rolling once, and then fold in each side. Continue to roll up and wet the top corner with a wet pastry brush (or your fingers) so that the wrapper will stay closed. Press tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese.
2. For the Marinara Sauce, sauté onion and garlic in oil in a large saucepan or pot until soft. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes or until thickened. Remove bay leaf.
3. In a deep pan or pot, heat oil to 375°F and fry cheese sticks in batches until brown, about 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
Serve with Marinara Sauce.
NOTE: Add spring rolls carefully to the hot oil to prevent splatters. Don’t overcrowd the pan as this will bring down the temperature of the oil.