This light and tasty side dish goes well with both meat and fish.
- 1 lb broccoli stems and florets -
- 1 lb spinach -
- ¼ cup quick-cooking cream of wheat (farina)* -
- 1 cup boiling water -
- 1 small onion -
- 1 clove fresh garlic -
- 4 eggs -
- 2 heaping Tbsp light mayonnaise -
- 1¼ tsp Kosher salt -
- 1 tsp white pepper -
- ½ tsp ground rosemary (optional) -
- Cornflake crumbs for topping (omit on passover) -
- * for Passover omit the farina and replace with 1 tbsp potato flakes. -
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Wash broccoli and spinach well and let dry completely. (If using frozen, place in a strainer and let defrost. All excess water should be squeezed out.) Meanwhile, place farina in a bowl and add boiling water. Cover with aluminum foil immediately and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, pulse onions and garlic until fine. Add farina, broccoli and spinach; process until fine. In another bowl, place eggs, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and rosemary (optional); mix well. Add broccoli and spinach mixture and stir until combined.
4. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.