I like blueberries
- ¾ cup margarine -
- ¼ cup icing sugar -
- ¼ teaspoon salt -
- 2 large egg yolks -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract -
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour -
- 1 cup blueberry pie filling -
- 2 lg. egg whites, lightly beaten -
- 3 tablespoons flour -
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar -
- 2 ½ tablespoons margarine -
- 1/8 teaspoon salt -
- 2 tablespoons ground pecans -
1. Cream margarine, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla Slowly add flour. Form dough into flattened disk, wrap it in saran wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Prepare crumble topping: Mix flour, brown sugar, margarine, salt and pecans until blended.
3. Preheat oven to 325 and line 2 cookie sheets.
4. Once dough is chilled, roll out on floured surface to ¼ inch thick. Cut dough into 3 inch circles. (I used a scallop cutter because I think it looks pretty.) Place half of circles on the cookie sheet, 1 ½ inches apart.
5. Put 1 -2 teaspoons of blueberry pie filling in the center of each circle. Top with remaining circles. Press the edges of the top and bottom cookies together with your fingers (if you have cut scalloped circles) or the tines of a fork (for plain circles).
6. Brush tops of cookies with egg whites, and generously top with crumble topping. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are golden.Allow to cool.
*This dough is very sticky, I used a generous amount of flour when rolling it out. I also found it helpful to roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper.
**For a simpler topping (and especially if sending this as a gift, to make it nut free) make up a simple drizzle using 1 cup icing sugar, ½ tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon water.