For this rich chocolate cupcake you can use an electric mixer or simply mix by hand. This is my neverfail basic chocolate cake recipe.
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee (preferably dark roast) -
- 2 cups boiling water -
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder -
- 5 eggs -
- 1 cup canola oil -
- 2½ cups sugar -
- 2 tsp vanilla extract -
- 2½ cups flour -
- ½ tsp salt -
- 1½ tsp baking powder -
- 1 tsp baking soda -
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) cherry pie filling -
- 6 to 8 tsp chocolate liqueur, optional -
- 1½ cups whipped cream (or whipped -
- pareve dessert whip) -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 compartments of mini muffin pan(s) with paper liners.
2. Dissolve instant coffee in boiling water in a medium bowl. Add cocoa and stir until dissolved.
3. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, adding the cocoa mixture last. Mix until smooth.
4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans, filling them almost to the top.
5. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely.
6. For the garnish, open can of cherry pie filling and separate cherries from the gel. (See Note.) Place cherries in a bowl and chop with a sharp knife into small chunks.
7. Assembly: Use a sharp pointed knife to cut a small circle about ¼-inch deep in the top of each cupcake. Remove and set aside. (See Note.) Pour about ¼ tsp of chocolate liqueur (if using) into each cavity, then fill with chopped cherries and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Chill before serving.
NOTE: The gel from the cherries makes a tasty topping for ice cream or frozen yogurt. Crumble the small chocolate cake circles you’ve removed and sprinkle the crumbs on top.