Add any of your favorite potato toppings and enjoy this baked potato in soup form!
- 3–4 medium baking potatoes (2 lb | 1 kg), skin on, well washed -
- 1 small shallot, peeled and diced very finely -
- 1 tsp | 5 mL salt -
- 1/4 tsp | 1 mL black pepper -
- 1 Tbsp | 15 mL olive oil -
- 4 cups | 1 L vegetable stock -
- 1 cup | 250 mL half-and-half -
- 3/4 cup | 175 mL 2% milk -
- 2 Tbsp | 30 mL all-purpose flour -
- 4 oz | 125 mL grated cheddar cheese -
- 3 Tbsp | 45 mL light sour cream -
- 3–4 large green onions (scallions), thinly sliced -
1. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in a 350°f (180°c) oven. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
2. Sauté the shallot, salt and pepper in olive oil for 5 to 8 minutes over medium heat. Add the stock, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, on medium-low for 10 minutes. Add the baked potatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, milk and flour. Add this mixture to the soup, stirring as you pour it in. Bring soup back to a boil and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Garnish each bowl of soup with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onion, or any other potato toppings that you enjoy.