Grilled apricots are somehow tart and sweet at the same time, making them a perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken. Soak your skewers in water before using to avoid burning, or, alternatively, use metal skewers.
- 1 lb fresh apricots, halved and pitted -
- 1 purple onion, cut into small wedges -
- 1 to 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast or thighs -
- Juice of half a lemon -
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce -
- ½ tsp black pepper -
- ½ tsp garlic powder -
- ½ tsp ground ginger -
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut chicken into 1-inch squares. Mix all ingredients for marinade in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate for a half hour.
2. Place chicken, apricots and onion wedges onto skewers, alternating as you go. Fill skewers a bit more than halfway.
3. Preheat BBQ to medium heat or about 350°F and coat grill generously with nonstick spray or oil. Cook kebobs on each side for about 4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
NOTE: Try to make sure the pieces of the chicken are not too big; if they are, it will take too long for them to cook and the apricots may fall apart.