These are so addictive. I know because I make them, then I make them again
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast (2¼ tsp) -
- 2 Tbsp honey -
- 1¾ cups apple juice (at room temperature) -
- 2¼ cups whole wheat flour -
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour -
- 2½ Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil -
- 2 tsp kosher salt (plus more for sprinkling) -
- Egg Wash
- 1 beaten egg plus 1 tsp water -
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil.
2. Combine yeast, honey and apple juice in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Let stand a few minutes until mixture begins to foam. Add remaining ingredients, adding the salt last. Mix on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until dough is smooth and well kneaded.
3. Cut dough into 10 equal pieces and roll each piece into a long rope about 1 inch thick, flouring your hands for easier handling. Cut each rope into 2-inch pieces; place pieces about 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
4. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.
5. Bake for about 18 minutes, until well browned. Let cool at least 5 minutes (if you can restrain yourself!) Dip into honeymustard for a great combination.
NOTE: The dough may require up to ¼ cup additional apple juice to bring it together. It is meant to have a firmer consistency.