- wheat berries - 1 cup, soft
- water - 2 cups(for cooking)
- salt - ½ tsp
- hearts of palm - ½ cup chopped
- cherry tomatoes - ½ cup quartered
- red pepper - ¼ cup diced roasted
- scallions - 3 Tbsp sliced (white and green parts)
- basil or cilantro - 2 Tbsp chopped fresh
- almonds - ½ cup sliced , toasted (optional)
- garlic - 1 clove, finely minced
- lime juice - 2 Tbsp fresh
- white wine vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- light olive oil - ¼ cup
- Kosher salt and black pepper -
1. Combine the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
2. Place wheat berries in a colander, rinse under cold running water and drain well. Transfer them to a saucepan, add 2 cups water and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1-1½ hours, until tender. Drain if necessary. Let the wheat berries cool completely.
3. Combine wheat berries with the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
4. Add the vinaigrette and mix to combine.
NOTE: If you don’t have time to roast the peppers, jarred red peppers (not the hot and
spicy ones) can be substituted.