This recipe is sort of a hybrid: it
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast -
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp sugar -
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 155° F) -
- 2 eggs -
- 2 egg yolks -
- ½ cup canola oil -
- 6 cups all-purpose flour -
- 2 tsp kosher salt -
- Oil for brushing -
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, optional -
- Glaze and Topping
- 1 egg yolk -
- 1 Tbsp honey -
- Additional chopped walnuts for sprinkling -
1. Place yeast, sugar, and warm water into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Let stand 5 minutes until bubbly. Add remaining ingredients, leaving salt for last. Let mix for 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high speed. The dough should be a wet dough; if necessary, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons flour to pull it together. Cover and let rise for 1 hour at room temperature until double in size.
2. Mix chopped walnuts, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Divide dough into 2 or 3 pieces and roll thin. Brush with oil and sprinkle generously with walnut sugar mixture. Roll up tightly and place in a well-greased high round pan or a loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise for 1 hour more.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix egg yolk with honey. Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle with additional chopped walnuts. Let bake for 40 minutes.
SPICED BUTTER: Soften 3 Tbsp unsalted whipped butter to room temperature. Mix in 1 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of ground cloves and a pinch of ground nutmeg. Refrigerate until needed.