Tzimmes, traditionally eaten at the Rosh Hashanah meal, is one of the many foods served connoting a positive outcome of the day
- 2-lb. bag frozen carrots (crinkle cut or Belgian baby) -
- 3 small (16 oz.) cans yams or 3 lbs. fresh yams (sweet potatoes), unpeeled -
- and diced -
- 1 (14 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice -
- 1 lb. pitted prunes -
- 1¼ cups brown sugar -
- 1 stick margarine (½ cup) -
- 6 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate (optional) -
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Mix all ingredients together and place in a sprayed 9-inch x 13-inch pan.
3. Cover and bake for 2 hours. Uncover and bake for an additional hour.
NOTE: For a really delicious alternative, add 2 strips of flanken (short ribs) or meat bones
to the pan before baking.