This summer I grew my own basil plants in small planters on my back porch. I love basil and I spent a good few hours coming up with ways to use its wonderful and flavorful leaves. This was one of the winners.
- angel hair pasta - 1 package (12-16-oz.)
- olive oil - ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp
- garlic - 2 cloves
- scallions - 2, chopped
- basil leaves - 12 fresh
- cherry tomatoes - 12
- salt - 2 tsp
- black pepper - 1 tsp
- diced tomatoes - 2 small cans (14-oz. each)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta, following the instructions on the package, about 2 to 3 minutes. While cooking, add one tablespoon olive oil to the water.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the garlic and scallions in the remaining olive oil in a large skillet for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for 5 more minutes.
3. Add diced tomatoes and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. When the pasta is ready, drain well. Return pasta to pot and pour the tomato mixture over it. Toss and serve.
NOTE: This dish is delicious warm and can also be served as a cold salad. It can be refrigerated for up to three days.