A scrumptious, crunchy treat, these bars are positively addictive. They can be made pareve by using margarine, but I recommend using butter when you can. The buttery flavor is quite distinct and delicious.
- 12 graham crackers -
- 1½ sticks butter or margarine, cut into pieces (¾ cup) -
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed -
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt -
- 1½ cups chocolate chips -
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, chopped almonds or raisins -
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 15-inch x 10-inch x 2-inch pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang at each end.
2. Line pan end-to-end with graham crackers.
3. Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan on medium to low heat. Add sugar and salt and cook until smooth and blended, about 1 minute.
4. Pour over crackers, spreading evenly. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until golden brown and bubbling, about 10 minutes.
5. Scatter chocolate chips evenly over crackers and return to oven for about 2 minutes. Wait until chocolate chips are fully melted.
6. Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, almonds or raisins.
7. When fully cooled, break into bite-size pieces.