This is sure to be a family favorite! You can make it withground chicken, beef, or veal
- Sweet Potato Mixture
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks -
- ½ cup water -
- 2 tsp olive oil -
- salt and freshly ground black pepper -
- paprika, for garnish -
- Meat Mixture
- 2 medium onions, cut in chunks -
- 1 cup baby carrots (about 12) -
- 2–3 cloves garlic (1–2 tsp minced) -
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 2 lbs lean ground chicken, beef, or veal (or a combination) -
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste) -
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper -
- ½ tsp each dried basil and dried oregano -
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites -
- ¼ cup ketchup or barbecue sauce -
- 1/3 cup matzoh meal -
1. Place sweet potatoes and water in a large microwaveable bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 18–20 minutes or until tender. (Or cook the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan on top of the stove for 20 minutes over high flame.) Drain well. Add oil, salt, and pepper, and mash until very smooth. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
3. In a food processor using the steel blade, process onions, carrots, and garlic until finely chopped, about 6–8 seconds.
4. Heat oil in a large pot on medium flame. Sauté onions, carrots, and garlic for 2–3 minutes or until soft. Add ground chicken and brown for 6–8 minutes, stirring often.
5. Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, basil, oregano, egg or egg whites, ketchup, and matzoh meal; mix well.
6. Spread meat mixture evenly in prepared baking dish. Top with sweet potato mixture and sprinkle with paprika. (If desired, the Shepherd’s Pie can be prepared in advance up to this point and refrigerated overnight.)
7. Bake uncovered for 50–60 minutes or until golden. Cut into squares and serve.