This is one of those recipes that has been in our family for as long as I can remember. It has a wonderful advantage of being a whole meal cooked in one pot.
- ½ cup oil -
- 3 small onions, sliced -
- 1 whole chicken cut into quarters (about 3 lbs.) -
- 3 large sweet potatoes -
- 10-12 prunes -
- 2 cups orange juice -
- ½ cup flour -
- Dash of salt and pepper -
1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat.
2. Sauté the onions until golden. Add chicken, skin side down. Brown chicken on both sides for 5 to 10 minutes and then remove the chicken and onions from skillet. Set aside.
3. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1-inch thick wedges. Place them into the oil and fry for 5 minutes on each side.
4. Add the chicken quarters and onions to the sweet potatoes along with the prunes. Reduce heat to low.
5. Whisk orange juice, flour, salt and pepper in a separate mixing bowl until smooth. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 1to 1½ hours.
NOTE: Keep checking to make sure the liquid is sufficient to prevent burning. If necessary, add water. You may also need to lower the heat slightly.