- ¾ cup vegetable oil, plus more for -
- the pan -
- 1½ cups light brown sugar, very firmly packed -
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature -
- 1¾ cups baked sweet potato, mashed, at room temperature -
- 1 Tbsp molasses -
- 1 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger -
- ¼ tsp salt -
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon -
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom (optional) -
- 1⁄8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg or ¼ tsp ground nutmeg -
- 12⁄3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan -
- 1½ tsp baking soda -
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour -
- ½ cup light brown sugar, very firmly packed -
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans -
- ½ tsp salt -
- ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter or margarine, melted -
1 Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch square pan and set aside.
2 In a small bowl, prepare the topping: stir the flour, brown sugar, pecans and salt together. Drizzle the melted butter or margarine over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. The streusel should feel clumpy (not sandy) when gently squeezed between your fingertips.
3 In a medium bowl, prepare the batter: combine the oil, brown sugar and eggs. Using a whisk, stir until the mixture is smooth and sugar begins to dissolve, 30 to 60 seconds. If the sugar forms lumps, break them up with your fingers (a few tiny lumps are fine).
4 Whisk the sweet potato, molasses, grated ginger, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, flour and baking soda directly into the batter. Using a whisk or rubber spatula, combine the ingredients until well blended and almost smooth. (You can also use a mixer on low speed.)
5 Pour the batter into the prepared greased pan, spreading it evenly with the spatula. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter.
6 Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out with only moist crumbs clinging to it, about 45 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Let cool until just warm and then cut into squares and serve from the pan. Store at room temperature for up to a week.
NOTES: If serving as a cake, you can reduce to 1¼ cups sweet potato.