- 2 lbs ground beef or veal -
- 1 egg -
- ¼ cup dried bread crumbs or matzoh meal -
- 1 tsp salt -
- ¼ tsp pepper -
- ½ tsp each dried basil and oregano -
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed -
- ¼ cup white vinegar -
- 1 5½-oz can tomato paste -
- ½ cup water -
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 7x11-inch Pyrex baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground meat with egg, bread crumbs or matzoh meal, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Mix lightly to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, and water and stir until smooth. Stir about 2/3 cup sauce into meat mixture.
4. Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place in prepared baking dish. Pour remaining sauce around meat loaf.
5. Bake uncovered for 1 hour, basting occasionally