Cocoa gives this chili a rich, dark color. If there
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or veal -
- 2 cloves garlic, minced -
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped -
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped -
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped -
- 1 28-oz can tomatoes (with juice) -
- 1 5½-oz can tomato paste -
- 1 19-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained -
- 1 tsp salt -
- ½ tsp pepper -
- 1 Tbsp chili powder -
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa -
- ½ tsp ground cumin, if desired -
- 5–6 drops hot sauce -
1. Spray a large pot or Dutch oven with nonstick spray. Add ground meat, garlic, onion, and bell peppers to pot and brown on medium flame for 10 minutes, stirring often, until no traces of pink remain in the meat.
2. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring well to break up tomatoes. Add kidney beans, salt, pepper, chili powder, cocoa, cumin, and hot sauce and mix well.
3. Heat to simmering. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer slowly for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Flavor will be even better the next day.
5. Serve over your favorite pasta, rice, couscous, or quinoa