These are elegant and really tasteful, not to mention low fat and healthy. You can freeze them in advance (although they do lose a bit of their crunchiness). When you
- 7 small zucchini -
- 2-3 Tbsp oil -
- 1 onion, diced -
- 1 red bell pepper, diced -
- 1 green bell pepper, diced -
- ½ small eggplant, peeled and diced -
- Salt and pepper to taste -
- 2 eggs -
- 3 Tbsp flavored breadcrumbs -
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Slice 6 of the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using either a melon baller or a teaspoon, scoop out the centers, leaving just a thin layer lining the skins. Reserve the zucchini pulp.
3. Brush the zucchini skins inside and out with oil and bake skin-side down for about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, sauté an onion. Add peppers and eggplant to pan.
5. Dice remaining zucchini, along with the zucchini pulp that was removed, and add to vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and cover pan. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft. Remove and cool completely.
7. Add eggs and breadcrumbs and mix well.
8. Fill the zucchini skins with the mixture. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.