Not only are split peas healthy for you, they are filling and satisfying. Served with crusty bread, this recipe can be a full meal.
- 1 lb green split peas, (2 to 2¼ cups) -
- 1 Tbsp oil -
- 1 clove garlic, minced -
- 2 onions, chopped -
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced -
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced -
- 2 large pieces flanken (with bones) -
- 6 cups chicken soup -
- 4 cups water -
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt -
- Black pepper to taste -
1. Soak peas in triple the amount of cold water for 1 hour.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large (10-quart) pot. Add garlic, onions, carrots, celery, and meat, and let sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain split peas and add to pot along with liquids, salt, and pepper.
3. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a minimum of 1 hour, and a maximum of 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
4. Remove meat from pot and cut into bite-size chunks. Discard bones and fat. Add meat back into soup. Adjust seasonings to taste and enjoy!