Beautiful presentation and so simple to make and eat. That
- purple cabbage - 2 packages (8-oz. each) shredded (about 8-9 cups)
- scallions - 2 — top and bottom, sliced
- mandarin oranges - 2 cans (11-oz. each) whole segment, drained
- sunflower seeds - ½ cup, toasted
- vinegar - ¼ cup
- sesame seeds - 1¼ Tbsp toasted
- brown sugar - ½ cup
- black pepper - ½ tsp freshly ground
- oil - ¼ cup
- Salt - to taste
- hot water - ½ cup
1 In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients except the hot water, mixing well to break up any lumps in the sugar.
2 Place cabbage in a large bowl. Add dressing to the cabbage and then add the hot water and stir very well. Let sit for 2 hours.
3 Add remaining ingredients, lightly toss and serve.
NOTES: To toast sunflower seeds, spread them onto a cookie sheet and bake at 450° F for about 5 minutes.
One can of mandarin oranges is also sufficient if you like it less sweet.